Thursday, August 2, 2012

Memories of ceramics and my Mom

My mother was the person who got me interested in ceramics, just as it was my father who got me interested in horses. I had always collected model horses, brought to me by my Dad when he would visit family in VA, but when I was a child Mom took a ceramics class from a friend and made me several horse pieces and a chess set. Fast forward 20 years to when I was in my late 20s and putting my first husband through medical school. A friend asked me to go to a ceramics and stained glass class with her. I was bit by the bug and by the time my parents relocated to TX in 1984 I was producing custom tiles, lamps, windows, etc. for a local builder. My Mom got interested again and we entered pieces at the Texas State Fair. Somewhere along the way I learned to make clay flowers and made a few pieces for her. Then my Dad and I started showing horses and the ceramics/glass went by the wayside.

My parents passed away in 2004 but a few days ago when I was going through a box I found one of the ceramic flowers I made for Mom. She was English and loved roses so it was a lovely surprise to see that this piece survived. I mounted it with a copper bail to use as a necklace now. I miss you Mom!